Student Registration

The Greater Amsterdam School District welcomes all students who live in the district to enroll in our schools.

Who Can Register

Students who are 5 years old and under 21 years of age who have not received a high school diploma and reside in the Greater Amsterdam School District are entitled to attend without the payment of tuition. The student’s legal parent or guardian must be present during registration.

Students who become 6 years of age on or before the 1st of December in any school year are required to attend until the last day of session in the school year in which the student becomes 16 years of age.

Universal Pre-K and McNulty Pre-K programs: Children who are district residents, and who are 4 years old on or before Dec. 1, will be eligible to enter kindergarten the following year.

Where to Register

Registration is held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday at the District Office for students in PreK through Grade 8, and at Amsterdam High School for students in Grade 9 through 12. During the summer, registration hours shift as the District Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Appointments can be made in advance and walk-ins are also welcome.

Proofs of Ages

Acceptable proof of age include a birth certificate or record of baptism.

Other examples of documentation that can be used include:

  • State or other government issued ID (ex. Passport including a foreign passport)
  • School photo ID with date of birth
  • Consulate identification card
  • Hospital or health records or NY City Hospital birthing records
  • Military dependent ID card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Record(s) from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies
  • Student’s official driver’s license or permit

Proofs of residency

Those registering must provide two proofs of residency. Examples of that are as follows:

  • Pay stub with address
  • Income tax form
  • Deed or lease to house or apartment
  • House purchase agreement
  • Utility or other bills sent to the student’s home address
  • Voter registration document
  • Official driver’s license, learner’s permit or non-drive I.D.
  • Government issued ID with address
  • Notarized statement from landlord
  • Tax bill

Other forms that are accepted if applicable include:

  • Custody papers
  • IEP documents
  • Immunizations