Congratulations to Amsterdam High School’s Charli Beekman, who signed her National Letter of Intent to run women’s track for the Division I Boston College Eagles in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). A crowd of friends and family watched Charli sign her letter on April 19 in the AHS gymnasium.
Beekman is the daughter of Charles and Tracy Beekman of Amsterdam. Among her accomplishments in Amsterdam, Beekman:
- Was a Varsity Track athlete in grades 8-12
- Is an AHS record holder, Indoor Track, in two events: 55M dash and Long Jump
- Is an AHS record holder, Outdoor Track, in three events: 100M, 4 X 100M relay, 4 X 200M relay
- Won two Section II Indoor Sectional Championships in the 55M
- Is sixth on the Section II All-Time Indoor Leaderboard in the 55M with a time of 7:25
- Participated in the New Balance Indoor Nationals 1X
- Participated in the New York State Indoor Track Championship 2X
- Won the 100M sprint in Section II’s premier invitational – the Eddy Meet as a freshman. This was an important part of the girls team championship at the same event.
Beekman is the fifth AHS girls track athlete to compete at the Division I college level since 2018. Other have included Lauren Santiago/ Sacred Heart University and Gabby Stanavich/ St. Francis University –Pennsylvania (2019), and Olivia Lazarou/Iona College and Brenda Santana/ University at Albany (2018).
She is also following in the Boston College footsteps of her Uncle Josh Beekman, an AHS graduate who was an All-American football standout at BC and later played in the National Football League (NFL) for the Chicago Bears.