The Greater Amsterdam School District formed a committee that is seeking input from parents and community stakeholders in regards to the issues they are studying relative to redistricting our four elementary schools and returning them to home school zones. This committee, which held its first meeting in January, will make recommendations to the GASD Interim Superintendent and Board of Education and a final decision will be made by the board in the spring. The committee is headed by Michele Downing.
The committee work follows an online survey conducted earlier in the process seeking community input on the potential of redistricting.
To learn more about this process, read the complete preliminary redistricting study and proposed timeline here.
Redistricting Advisory Committee Roles & Responsibilities
- Review and update the current Child Safety Zone designations (as per BOE Policy #5721)
- Study and update the current transportation policies to consider realigning criteria as stated in Policy #5711. This may include considerations for changing boundaries as stated in the policy, before & after daycare provisions, bussing all primary students, factoring in second runs and courtesy bussing (courtesy bussing is defined as bussing students who reside within the legal limits for bussing as described in Policy #5711.)
- Update GASD Transportation Handbook (last rendition – Fall, 2012)
- Study on automating systems: bus passes, cameras etc.
- Provide recommendations to Interim Superintendent of Schools and Board of Education.
Committee Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, 1/14, 6-7:30 p.m., Lynch Media Center
- Wednesday, 1/29, 6-7:30 p.m., Lynch Media Center
- Tuesday 2/12, 6-7:30 p.m., Amsterdam High School Media Center (Note location change)
- Tuesday 2/25, 6-7:30 p.m. Lynch Media Center
- Wednesday 3/11, 6-730 p.m., Lynch Media Center
- Tuesday 3/17, 6-7:30 p.m., Lynch Media Center
- Wednesday 3/18, 6 p.m., Board Meeting , AHS Media Center