Who are we?
The Greater Amsterdam Educational Foundation, Inc. was officially established in January, 2021 to help finance innovative programs to enhance the academic and personal growth of students and teachers.
The Educational Foundation serves as a community support mechanism outside the scope of the district’s annual operating budget, funding project and programs to further enrich the GASD educational experience. The foundation’s mission is to develop and support new ways of promoting GASD students’ intellectual, emotional, physical, or social maturity.
The Educational Foundation is a volunteer not-for-profit corporation, incorporated under the laws of the State of New York and registered with the Office of the New York State Attorney General, Bureau of Charities and has a 501(c)(3) designation by the IRS. It is governed by an Executive Committee with establish bylaws for operation.
In November, 2020 in the midst of the COVID-19 international health pandemic, some 20 members of the Greater Amsterdam school and local community met virtually for the first time to begin discussions for getting the foundation off the ground.
Among those represented at the first foundation meeting were the City of Amsterdam Mayor’s Office, Amazon, Beech-Nut Nutrition, Lanzi’s Restaurants, Alpin Haus, Centro Civico, local attorneys and physicians, teachers, staff, Board of Education and community members. As time moved on, others have contacted GASD to get involved.
From there, the first Executive Board was established including a President, Vice President/Treasurer and Secretary, and the required legal documentation and fees were submitted to state and federal authorities.
What are some of the benefits of an educational foundation?
- Through fundraisers and tax-exempt donations from individuals, businesses and organizations, the foundation enriches learning experiences for students through grants, scholarships and awards to teachers and students.
- Establishes new ways for the school district to focus on equity for all students, creates multiple pathways to prepare students for post-secondary success, and serves as a catalyst for innovation and an investment in education that promotes continuous improvement.
- Finances new projects and programs that allow students to understand and utilize state-of-the-art advancements in science and technology, College in the High School offerings and possible international exchange programs.
How does everyone benefit from the work of an educational foundation?
- Students benefit from projects that emphasize new approaches to teaching and innovative programs which stimulate thought and expand the existing curriculum. This could include reaching out to professionals such as writers, musicians, business owners, scientists, and others-to inspire the love of learning and help students at all grade levels realize the value of a well-rounded education.
- Teachers benefit because their innovative ideas can now be implemented with appropriate funding. Creative programs that enhance the learning experience are encouraged and rewarded. This includes professional growth and development opportunities that extend beyond the current offerings and traditional resources.
- Our community benefits by having a top-quality educational system which impacts not only the quality of life but economic development as well.