In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection in the district, facilities operations will be geared toward meeting social distancing requirements and cleaning frequently touched spaces regularly. In carrying out projects or tasks supporting infection control, requirements will be met for changes associated with building spaces. Plans for changes or additions to facilities that require review by the Office of Facilities Planning (OFP), will be submitted to comply with the requirements of the 2020 New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (BC) and the State Energy Conservation Code.
The function, position and operation of stairs and corridor doors, which have closers with automatic hold opens (and are automatically released by the fire alarm system), will remain unchanged.
The district has met the deadline for submission of Building Condition Survey or Visual Inspections on time. In addition, lead in water sampling will be carried out upon the reopening of school under conditions consistent with when the building is “normally occupied.”
The district continues to increase ventilation, to the greatest extent possible. Water systems will be flushed in buildings that have been unoccupied. In addition:
- Entrances and high traffic areas will be sanitized throughout the day
- All school buildings will be sanitized every night either by hand or with foggers
- In-class bathrooms will be closed and students/staff will utilize the master/main bathrooms. The master/main bathrooms will be checked periodically throughout the day for soap and paper towels. Hand air dryers will be disconnected and paper towel dispensers will be installed.
- Working collaboratively, district staff will wipe down work areas at the end of the day and prepare to be fogged
- Disinfecting stations will be provided in classrooms so daily cleaning of work area/desks/computers assisted by students and staff can be achieved
- Hand sanitizing units will be set up in high traffic areas for easy access by students and teachers
- Proper cleaning and sanitizing protocol training will be provided to all staff and personnel
- No after school or outside use of facilities will be allowed; special requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis
- Gloves will be worn when possible by cleaning and custodial staff; also teaching staff if having to handle a student
- All cleaning and sanitizing materials and supplies will be used and procured in accordance with applicable SED, CDC, EPC guidelines – addresses toxicity levels, etc.
- Daily cleaning: All trash will be removed, floors swept, dust mopped or vacuumed
- Designated spaces will be set up for isolation of individuals with COVID-19 symptoms
- District may need to expand the physical footprint or adjust space utilization – i. e. (facility use of gyms, etc. for classrooms). This will or may require Office of Facilities Planning approval to ensure fire/building code guidelines being met. The District has requested a utilization review by the district’s architects to determine modular classroom capacity, etc.
- Facilities will be marked with social distancing markers and one-way traffic pattern indicators to ensure proper protocols are in place; entrances and exits will be marked for staff and students where feasible
- Proper ventilation options are being reviewed and will be followed to ensure proper air circulation, etc. windows and doors should be open when possible to increase air circulation.
- Fire/lockdown drills are still required to be conducted. Protocols and plans must be reviewed and implemented to ensure proper social distancing is being met during these drills.
- Drinking/water is still required to be available. The district will ensure the maintenance, access and cleanliness of fountains are maintained. The district will also encourage students and staff to bring their own water bottles.