August 15, 2018
Please be aware that construction is currently underway at Barkley Elementary and there is no phone service. A mailing will be sent home the last week of August and it will contain the student’s classroom assignment and teacher, and other pertinent school information.
The first day of school for Pre-K, Kindergarten and Grade 1 is Sept. 5. The first day of school for all other students (include PreK, K and 1) is Sept. 6.
The following is a letter for Barkley families from Principal Donna Decker:
“Welcome to Barkley School for the 2018 – 2019 school year. We are anticipating an exciting educational year ahead.
Highlights for the beginning of school:
- Incoming UPK students and their parents will report to the cafeteria on the first day of school. Incoming kindergartners will go directly to their classrooms. There will be teachers to assist them in the front hall. There will be a short orientation where you will be able to meet your child’s’ teacher. Parents will be asked to leave by 9:15 a.m. so that students can get settled and begin their day.
- School hours are 8:40 a.m. until 3 p.m. Pre-K walkers and riders will be dismissed 15 minutes earlier. Parents should pick them up at the side door near the gym.
- Students may be going outside for a recess period at lunchtime, unless it is raining or below 20 degrees. They must dress for the weather.
- Students are not to report to Barkley before 8:15 a.m. They will have plenty of time for breakfast, as the tardy time is 8:50 a.m.
- You will receive a letter indicating your child’s teacher for the 18-19 school year along with some additional forms that we are requesting that you return with your child on the first day of school.
- Bus information will also be mailed home prior to the start of the school year.
- Please note that the trip number is located in the window of the bus. (It will not correspond to the bus number.) Be sure to look for the trip number in the window.
New and Reassigned Teachers:
- 2nd Grade: Mrs. Cetnar
- 5th Grade: Ms. Brown
- ENL Teacher: Ms. Maciag
Please make sure your child knows what he/she is doing each day at dismissal.
To avoid confusion, dismissal changes must be communicated to the teacher in writing. Phone calls to the office are only to be made in the case of an emergency.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call Barkley at 843-1850, transportation at 843-3186, or food service at 843- 3180 x 7602.“