October 3, 2019
Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute Informational Session to be held on Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. at Amsterdam High School Media Center. All parents and interested students are invited to attend and learn about this unique educational opportunity.
About the Program
The Late Assemblyman Angelo Del Toro in collaboration with the Office of Bilingual Education created the Institute for high school students of Hispanic/Latino descent. The Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute is an innovative collaboration with the NYS Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican/Hispanic Task Force in conjunction with the annual SOMOS conference, Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages, and the New York State City Board of Education.
Goals of the Institute
- Gain an understanding of the NYS legislative process by participation in research and the development of legislative proposals.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Gain an understanding of responsible citizenship.
- Create opportunities for interaction with positive role models such as elected officials and other adult professionals.
- Promote a dialogue between youth and community leaders concerning issues that affect Hispanic/Latino Youth and their communities.
For questions about the program, please contact Stormy Orengo at 518-848-8197