School Closing Information
In the event of any weather-related changes to Greater Amsterdam’s school schedules, we encourage you to check the district website and/or consult local media outlets to ensure that you and your child(ren) receive the information as soon as possible. A notification will also be sent out on ParentSquare to all parents and staff.
- Cancellations, delays or early dismissals are posted on the school district’s website and a notification is delivered on ParentSquare. If you need to update your contact information, please contact your child’s school.
- School closings are also announced on the following local TV and radio stations: Channel 6, Channel 10, Capital News 9, Channel 13, Fox 23, WGY (810 AM), WFLY (92.3 FM), WYJB (95.5 FM), WRVE (99.5 FM); WCSS (1490 AM); WVTL (1570 AM) as well as at www.dailygazette.com and www.timesunion.com.
- When in doubt, please check the news announcements at www.gasd.org.
- For high school students using CDTA busing, delay information and other advisories can be found at the following link: https://www.cdta.org/service-advisories
Morning closings may be announced as early as 5:30 a.m., but usually by 6:30 a.m. If school is cancelled so are all after school activities that day.
It is best to rely on more than one source of information when it comes to weather-related announcements. This is particularly true in situations that involve power outages, which can affect the district’s ability to send electronic notifications. Emergency preparedness agencies have advised that residents have access to a battery-powered radio so that they can receive information if other communication channels are unavailable.
Delayed openings due to inclement weather
Delayed openings mean all schedules will be delayed either one or two hours. Bus pickups will be approximately one or two hours later than the scheduled time. However, please continue to monitor all opening delays, as they could turn into school closings depending on the weather.
Please note: Unless otherwise noted, all scheduled activities at Amsterdam schools are canceled on the days school is closed or closes early.
In the event of a delay, bus stop times would be moved one or two hours ahead from normally scheduled times. For example:
Normal bus stop time: 7:40 a.m.
2-hour delay time: 9:40 a.m.
2-HOUR DELAY SCHEDULE
Barkley, Curie, McNulty, Tecler elementary schools
- Students enter the building at 10:30 a.m.
- Classes would begin by 10:50 a.m.
Lynch Literacy Academy
- Students enter the building at 9:15 a.m.
- Classes begin by 9:50 a.m.
Amsterdam High School
The following is the two-hour delay bell schedule:
- Period 1: 9:52 a.m. to 10:19 a.m.
- Announcements: 10:19 a.m. to 10:21 a.m.
- Period 2: 10:24 a.m. to 10:51 a.m.
- Period 3: 10:54 a.m. to 11:21 a.m.
- Period 4: 11:24 a.m. to 11:51 a.m.
- Period 5: 11:55 a.m. to 12:22 a.m.
- Period 6: 12:26 a.m. to 12:53 p.m.
- Period 7: 12:57 p.m. to 1:24 p.m.
- Period 8: 1:28 p.m. to 1:55 p.m.
- Period 9: 1:59 p.m. to 2:26 p.m.