School Closing Information
In the event of any weather-related changes to Amsterdam’s school schedules, we encourage you to check the district website and/or consult local media outlets to ensure that you and your child(ren) receive the information as soon as possible.
- Cancellations, delays or early dismissals are posted on the school district’s website and delivered by robocall to parents registered in our database. If your child is registered in the school district, you will receive a phone call. If you need to update your contact information, please contact your child’s school.
- School closings are also announced on the following local TV and radio stations: Channel 6, Channel 10, Capital News 9, Channel 13, Fox 23, WGY (810 AM), WFLY (92.3 FM), WYJB (95.5 FM), WRVE (99.5 FM); WCSS (1490 AM); WVTL (1570 AM) as well as at www.dailygazette.com and www.timesunion.com.
- High school families can receive text message notifications from Amsterdam High School by signing up for AHS’s Remind 101 account. Enter the number: 571-384-3458. Text this message: @amsterd
- When in doubt, please check the news announcements at www.gasd.org.
Morning closings may be announced as early as 5:30 a.m., but usually by 6:30 a.m. Whenever schools are closed for emergency reasons, continuing education classes and “PM School” for high school students will be cancelled that night.
It is best to rely on more than one source of information when it comes to weather-related announcements. This is particularly true in situations that involve power outages, which can affect the district’s ability to send electronic notifications. Emergency preparedness agencies have advised that residents have access to a battery-powered radio so that they can receive information if other communication channels are unavailable.
Early dismissals due to inclement weather
When the weather becomes inclement during the day and driving conditions become poor, please stay tuned to news about early dismissals through the methods discussed above. Please arrange for any changes in drop-off locations for students in the event of an emergency school closing in advance, if necessary. If you have not done so already, please contact your child’s individual school for more information on how to make these arrangements.
Delayed openings due to inclement weather
Delayed openings mean all schedules will be delayed either one or two hours. Bus pickups will be approximately one or two hours later than the scheduled time. However, please continue to monitor all opening delays, as they could turn into school closings depending on the weather.
Please note: Unless otherwise noted, all scheduled activities at Amsterdam schools are canceled on the days school is closed or closes early.
In the event of a delay, bus stop times would be moved one or two hours ahead from normally scheduled times. For example:
Normal bus stop time: 7:40 a.m.
2-hour delay time: 9:40 a.m.
2-HOUR DELAY SCHEDULE
Barkley, Curie, McNulty, Tecler elementary schools
- Students enter the building at 10:30 a.m.
- Classes would begin by 10:50 a.m.
Lynch Literacy Academy
- Students enter the building at 9:15 a.m.
- Classes begin by 9:57 a.m.
Amsterdam High School
The following is the two-hour delay bell schedule:
- Period 1: 9:59 a.m. to 10:26 a.m.
- Period 2: 10:29 a.m. to 10:56 a.m.
- Period 3: 10:59 a.m. to 11:26 a.m.
- Period 4: 11:29 a.m. to 11:56 a.m.
- Period 5: 11:59 a.m. to 12:26 p.m.
- Period 6: 12:29 p.m. to 12:56 p.m.
- Period 7: 12:59 p.m. to 1:26 p.m.
- Period 8: 1:29 p.m. to 1:56 p.m.
- Period 9: 1:59 p.m. to 2:26 p.m.