The focus of the Greater Amsterdam School District’s Counseling Department is to provide a Developmental School Counseling Program consisting of a comprehensive plan of academic, career, and personal development. The program is an essential part of the total school program and supports the goals established for all students.
Through a series of sequential and developmental activities, the counselor ensures that he/she is meaningfully involved with each student during each year of the secondary school experience. In this way the student is in the best position to learn, plan, and make positive decisions with the ongoing support and assistance of a school counselor.
The Guidance Department assists students and parents each school year with course selection. For information on high school classes and other opportunities, contact your guidance counselor.
Planning for College
Getting started early on your college search will help you get through the application process in a timely manner.
If you need help with your college applications, confused about how to link your Common App with Naviance, or need other assistance, you can visit College Application Help Sessions every Wednesday and Thursday from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Amsterdam High School Media Center.
Planning for a Career
If college isn’t for you, there are many avenues you can take to finding a career after graduation, such as trucking, cosmetology and medical assistance.
Students (of all ages) who haven’t attended college or trade school, and parents of students in elementary and secondary school should use these resources to learn more about financial aid.
- The official web site of the New York State Financial Aid Administrators Association is a great source for financial aid information for students and families.
- Your source for free information from the US Department of Education on preparing for and funding education beyond high school.
- Apply for financial aid online or call the FAFSA Assistance Hotline, which runs every Wednesday from noon to 6 p.m. through Feb. 25 to promote Student Financial Aid Awareness. Email for help at anytime at FAFSAhelp@hesc.org.
- A great site where students can find out about TAP (Tuition Assistance Program), student loans, and all of the programs offered by New York State.
- FinAid: The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid: A well-known site with everything you want to know about financial aid, including scholarship searches, information about scams, and how to apply for aid.
Naviance is a comprehensive college and career readiness solution that helps districts and schools align student strengths and interests to post-secondary goals, improving student outcomes and connecting learning to life.
Click here to view scholarship opportunities available for Amsterdam High School students, before applying through Naviance.